Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Mystery Plant

I went out to Lake Mead Recreation Area the other day. Lots of pretty flowers blooming near the road. I kept seeing something quite golden - bright golden in the sunshine - and I wondered what it was. So finally I stopped to see.


Well, I have no idea what this is. It appears to me to be some sort of parasite, similar perhaps to the mistletoe that grows on trees here in the desert? It isn't everywhere, mostly in patches along the road.



First I thought this was only growing on dormant or dead plants (I can't tell the difference), but this host plant seems to be flowering. Actually, in the first picture the plant is much smaller but with the same blue flowers.


This is the same plant without the golden strands on it. I thought it was a purple sage, but I'm a city person, what do I know?


Anyone have any idea what this golden stuff is?

3 comments:

Barbara and Ron said...

Yeah, I've seen that stuff out there. Of course you know with my short term memory problem, I can't remember even if I knew what it was called. That bush with the purple flowers is really pretty, but again I don't even know what that is. I'm just no help!

sally said...

Hi Benda.
Nice BLOG!! I've enjoyed reading your posts. I have no idea what the flora is.
See ya down the road!!

Anonymous said...

Plant called dodder, I think. Yes, a parasite