Friday, May 16, 2008

Awesome People

There are people in this world of whom I am in awe. Great Awe. And when it's someone I know, it's even more impressive. I'd like to tell you about a couple of them.

Pat VanZante was my freshman college roommate. We've sporadically kept in touch over the years. I knew she'd actually gotten degrees (unlike myself) and was active in her community, had grandchildren, was in the community theater, and the like.

And now, when she could be looking to a well deserved retirement (like some of us slugs), what does she do? She runs for the Iowa State House of Representatives. I'm impressed. I'm really proud of her and I only wish I could vote for her, but alas, I am a Texan now. Sorry, Patti, I hope you win!!

Note: I shamelessly stole this picture from her website: http://www.patvanzantehd71.com/ So if you live in Iowa, vote for her!!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Randy the Poet is another awesome chap. He's 70 years old, and has never, never worked on a computer before. But now in the age of blogs, email, the web, and more, he wants to become computer savvy. So he asked me if I would teach him the computer.
Now in our little world of RVers, people are doing things for me all the time. I'm so grateful for their help, and when someone asks me to do something I'm actually capable of doing, I'm more than pleased to do so. So I said sure.

It was tough going at first. The first day he wasn't sure how to plug the computer in. But we had short lessons every day, and he got it. And enjoyed it. He got his own aircard, so that he can access the internet whenever he has a Verizon signal. And now he does email, and the web. And more. He uses a word processor to put his poems to paper. And he's bought a small digital camera and has learned how to get pictures to the computer and uploaded to his blog. Together we even figured out how to do Yahoo instant messenger. Although I still haven't figured out how to do it with anyone else, so if you know that, let me know!

He still calls with questions (gives us a good excuse to stay in touch), and he may never be as competent as some of us, but the awesome thing here is that at age 70, he is willing to learn something so completely foreign to him. Having no background at all, he just jumped right in and learned. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I'm proud of you, Randy. Keep up the good work.

Note: his blog is http://mobilecodgers.blogspot.com/ so go there and check it out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi -- i am so happy for im & you -- iam fne..... will

PatiVZ said...

Brendy,
Thanks so much, you can vote for me AND help get me $7,000 as can all your friends! Go to www.tomharkin.com/action/build-blue and vote for me for State Representative and for Sharon Savage for State Senator, the one who gets the most votes Tom will give $2,000 and then $5,000 to. Hope you are doing well with gas prices going so high!
love
Pati

PatiVZ said...

Sorry Brenda, that's www.tomharkin.com/action/building-blue