Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Medical Information on the Go

I saw a product, for $35, that was a thumb drive key chain containing a Word Document in which you could write all your medical information. It seems there are lots of deaths in this country each year because medical personnel didn't have the necessary information about the person they are trying to help.

Well, this sounds like a good idea, but it's $35!!! For free you can get a Vial of Life at most Walmarts to keep in the freezer with your information on it. But I also think it's a good idea to have that information on your person as you roam around. Here's how you can make your own information sheet like the one I keep in my wallet.

Being somewhat computer knowledgeable, I created this in an Excel spreadsheet, six to a page, and printed it out on both sides of the paper (printing one side, then putting the paper back in and printing the other side). Using a paper cutter, I cut six sheets out of each full size page. Of course, I keep all the information up to date.

Whenever I move to a new location, I write in my location and the dates I will be there. I put it into my wallet where the driver's license window is. That way, if I'm in a store or a museum and keel over, they only have to look in my wallet to see what medication I'm on, what my blood type is, etc.

Here is a dummied up version of the front and back of my sheets.

I hope by now most people know about ICE (In Case of Emergency). These are entries you make into your cellphone contact list. I've been told that most medical personnel know to look for ICE entries if they encounter an unconscious person.

If you think of any other information I should have on this sheet, please let me know.

Credit goes to Jack England who gave me the inspiration for this information sheet. Thanks, Jack. I think of you every time I fill out a new page.

2 comments:

The Paces Sue and Ken said...

are you "selling" the form for others to use? it's a great idea. Of course you could desiginate a Cheap thumb drive for Medical Info. and download the page onto it and carry that with you. A note in your wallet saying: view thumb drive for personal information.

Brenda said...

I'll be glad to send you the excel spreadsheet that's the template for the sheet. Let me know if you want me to email it to you.

Brenda