Monday, March 17, 2008

Plan B

When we get really behind schedule, we just throw it away and make a new schedule. So now we're on Plan B, or is it Plan C? Maybe Plan D. You get the idea.

We were supposed to leave here last Monday (March 9th). That's the date we were aiming for. But on Sunday, I discovered that my sunglasses frame had broken, so I decided to go Monday morning to Algodones to get a new frame. Now the key to going to Mexico is to get in early and get out early, otherwise I stand in a two hour line, and that's not my idea of fun. So I was up early, drove the 20 miles or so, parked in the $5 lot, was walking toward the fence when I suddenly remembered I didn't have my passport. Well, Shoot. I knew I couldn't get home and get back here before the lines got long, so I had to wait until Tuesday to take the glasses in, and Wednesday morning to pick them up.

So we were aiming for Thursday or Friday to leave. But Ted was sure it was going to be very windy on Friday, and I don't travel on race days of course, so we're looking at Monday the 17th (Happy Saint Patrick's Day!) Ironically, Ted did go before us. He's already at Hi Jolly in Quartzsite, waiting for us.

But then on Sunday Joey gets a really funny noise coming from her propane system, and on Monday morning we have to get Pete out here to look at it. After he determined it's the shut-off valve (why it's making a high pitched whine, we don't know), the wind came up. So now it's really windy here, coming from the north.

So now we're going to leave tomorrow. No, really, we are. Really.

Joey and I are leaving tomorrow, and Brad will follow as soon as he gets the storage locker cleaned out and all that stuff stuffed into his rig. We may never see him.

We're trying to talk Pete and Randy into following us when their business is finished in Yuma; we hope to see them down the road.

With fuel prices so high, we are going very slowly up the Colorado to Las Vegas. When I arrived here in Yuma two weeks ago, diesel was $3.47. Now it is $3.97. AAARRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHH. That's the only word for it.

2 comments:

Barbara and Ron said...

I'm pretty sure you can still walk across the border with just your license. Sure, now I tell you. But then what if I was wrong and you couldn't get back. Whew! Good luck on the weather - it's windy here too.

Brenda said...

I was told that if you didn't have a passport you had to have a driver's license and a birth certificate, which I don't have. But maybe I heard wrong. Anyway, I didn't want to risk it.